
Dope Shark was short lived and well worth it. I'll never forget walking into the "Shark Tank"(around January or February '08) in West Orange for the first time and having this stranger, Ted the Dread, yell at me, "Were going to be the best band EVER!!!" followed by his signature flurry of drum rolls.

Sadly, with the passing of Michael "Ted the Dread" Tetta, I will always be left to wonder, 'What could have been?' Dope Shark was barely scratching the surface of potential. For me, it was a great opportunity to finally have a band with my longtime best friend Ryan Hughes,("Uncle Rones"). For years, finding a formidable drummer was an elusive quest, a road block that kept our musical casual. However, with Tetta it seemed we had found the perfect guy. It was a seamless transition in which he assimilated with us: our musical styles, lifestyle preferences, and desire to have a good time.
Dope Shark was one of my favorite outlets for escaping the daily grind: a 5 hour jam session complete with a case of budwieser, ample strain, and usually a big grill out. And in planning for the future of the band, I couldn't think of anyone who would have been better to hit the road with than Tetta, who's personality, looks and musicality commanded the attention of all around. He talked to me numerous times about "when we go on tour." His personality was infectious. His spirit, uplifting.
He was a great dude. 



Yesterday at his wake, several of his close friends expressed their gratitude to me that Dope Shark was able to capture some recordings featuring Tetta on the drum kit. Apparently before this, he had never been recorded. After listening again to the tracks that I had previously regarded as a work in progress, ("Live Tales from the Shark Tank" available at myspace.com/dopeshark)

I now realize that I am very honored and humbled to be a part of these recordings which will contribute to the many fond memories of Michael Tetta.
Dope Shark was: Michael Tetta on drums, Ryan Hughes on Guitar, Dave Heinzinger on bass, James Gill on Guitar and me. Thanks for the good times guys.



No comments:
Post a Comment