
(Paul Costabile, host of Gorilla Late Night, interviews Cecile Monteyne in Times Square.)
Fresh out of College, with no job offers in his chosen field, 22-year-old Paul Costabile of Hillsdale is chasing his dream, live from Times Square, gorilla-style.
The aspiring actor, writer, comedian, host, improviser, MC and entertainer just launched his own show, “Gorilla Late Night,” self-broadcasting on the Internet at www.gorillalatenight.com.
“I just graduated college and I always wanted to do TV,” Costabile told Pascack Press. “So I haven’t been getting a job, I’ve been sending my resume out. You know, the economy sucks, so I’m kind of just like, ‘I have the power of the internet, why don’t I do it on my own?’”
The late night style show, filmed every Monday at 8 p.m. in the middle of Time Square, NY, features a monologue by Costabile, special guests and original comedy sketches. The show’s format in part, pokes fun at comedian Jimmy Fallon, the new host of NBC’s ‘Late Night’ and the subject of a reoccurring comedic vendetta Costabile harbors.
“I just felt like, ‘I could do this, why don’t I do it on my own?’ I’m kind of going after him [Jimmy Fallon],” says Costabile. “I want his job.”
In his first episode, Costabile jokes about his own situation by walking around the streets with a fake resume asking everyone from Elmo and Mickey Mouse to a street-side nuts vendor and a sleepy rickshaw driver for a job. The show, co-written and produced by Matt Pepe, even prods some controversial subjects.
“Final Destination’s coming out this Friday, it’s a horror movie. Everyone dies,” Costabile says in a monologue joke. “We’ve just heard news that there releasing a new one in 2010. The writers? Congress. The title? Obama-Care!”
The “Final Destination” joke was actually a precursor to Gorilla Late Night’s first guest, Cecile Monteyne, one of the actresses in the new movie.
“Me and [Cecile] actually had actually taken class together at the Upright Citizens Brigade, a famous improve theatre in the City,” said Costabile. “So I knew her and realized she was in the movie and was like, ‘Oh, she’d be perfect to come out for the show.’”
The two chatted outside the Police Both in Times Square, Monteyne in a lawn chair, Costabile behind a cardboard desk. The unique show is entirely self-produced by Costabile friends and family.
“Right now it’s kind off me-and-my-crew and so it’s cool because it’s my own thing, completely. I have control over what I want to create,” he said. “It’s not just for celebrities, there’s so much going on in New York and New Jersey. It’s also a good outlet for people who also want to get off the ground and come on and promote what they’re doing and have some fun in the middle of time square.”
As for the future of the show, Costabile has high expectations.
“I would say stay tuned because it’s only going to get better and the guests are only going to get crazier.”
Filmed Monday night, the editing process starts quickly and the easy to access show appears online a few days later. On Sept. 3, the first episode had viewed nearly 700 times. Costabile hopes to get exposure and have the show lead to a dream job. As he writes: “[I’m] looking to make you laugh. Then get hired. In that order.”

(Paul and Tony Yayo of G-Unit)


No comments:
Post a Comment