The allure of press coverage was not intriguing to me, but a trip to Poughkeepsie to play music with a friend, a little more appealing.
In the end it was a pair of patent leather black and white shoes that allowed me to chalk this one up to the law of averages and head home happy. There was no music played, at least not by me.
Upon our arrival, 40 minutes late and mildly confused from some Yellow Brick Road, the ‘band’ was already playing.
24 hours later, this seems to be the only press on the event, a 100 words from before it started in the local briefs of the Poughkeepsie Journal.
“Town volunteer will be honored for service:
Town of Poughkeepsie resident John Flowers will be honored for his volunteer work in the community at the Exempt Firemen's Association's Black History Month Dinner this evening.
The event will begin at 5 p.m. at the organization's headquarters at 200 Mansion St. in the City of Poughkeepsie.
Over the past 15 years, Flowers has organized numerous community events, including the city's Easter egg hunt at Waryas Park, a Mother's Day rose giveaway at local hospitals and nursing homes, the city's annual Father's Day parade and an Old-Fashioned Church Picnic every Labor Day weekend.”
Enter Dujuan and myself at 5:40 p.m. through the emergency exit. Scotty and band are in full swing and some man with some really nice shoes is demanding to know where my ticket is.

(View of the formal diner and band)
“Oh, it’s ok, I’m in the band.” An accented glance at the band, in full swing, turned to an indifferent shrug and I headed to the bar.
I proceeded to remain confused as to what my next course of action was. I meandered around by the bar as the band played. I Clapped politely as presentations were made by representatives from the NAACP and the Mayor of Poughkeepsie John Thyazik. I ate my fish and colla-greens and drank a beer.

(Some hero's in black history: (l-r) Barack Obama; Rosa Parks; Dr. Martin Luther King & Dujuan)
Right about the time the words rang out, I had come to terms with the fact that I drove to Poughkeepsie for no reason, and I was starting to have fun. Then the shout that started a bum rush for the door.
“Everybody! Run quick, John Flowers is giving out Patent Leather’s outside!”
Huddled around the back of a red astro van with outstretched hands, we waited in turn to grab some black and white tux shoes contained in a mail crate. Minutes later the dinner was full of musicians in really nice matching shoes.
Then the Mayor declared it "John Flowers day" in the City of Poughkeepsie.

(My Tenor Sax player Dujuan sporting his black and whites)


No comments:
Post a Comment